9/27/2012

The Boyajians- A Sidenote

Who was this Uncle at 422 Washington Street in Providence? I thought perhaps it was a relative on Stephen's mother side.  Her maiden name was Bernazian. According to the 1900 & 1901 Providence directories, this address was a grocery store/residence owned by several Boyajian brothers. This was the first time that I ever saw the Boyajian name as a relation to my family. I'm not sure if this relationship was true or this person was just a friend.  The names and occupations were:  Hovannes Boyajian confectioner, Avedis & Krikor Boyajian, tailors, Andon Boyajian grocer. I researched Boyajian to see if I could come up with a genealogical connection but I didn't find anything. I'm not even certain that my Grandfather went to Providence. There's no evidence of where Stephen was from 1901-1908. In 1910, Stephen was living in New York City. There were two Boyajians in the apartment next to his: Maksukis Boyajian age 48 and his son, Souren age 14. 
While researching the Boyajians, I came across a touching testimonial of the Armenian Genocide.  I found a passport application for Harry Boyajian in 1919.  He lived in Providence, RI.  His affidavit as to why he is leaving the country really touched me. 



"...about two or three years ago, I received some communication from my wife and children that they were deported from our native land and village and were driven to the Syrian deserts; that I saw in the Armenian newspapers few named of the survivors of which some of the members of my family were included; that for the last year or so, I have lost trace of them and it is necessary to look for them;  that it is urgent and necessary on my part to go to Cilicia and those sections of Syria to search for them; that my intention is to return back to the United States after I have searched for my family and have been satisfied of their loss; that some of my relatives have survived the massacres and I am going to assist them financially and otherwise; that all the statements as stated by me are true to the best of my knowledge and belief." 
                                                               Harry Boyajian

Afternote:  Harry Boyajian returned to the USA in 1920 with a new wife Aroubak Kalfaian, so his first wife was never found.

No comments:

Post a Comment