10/08/2012

Books Part 1: Armenian Language


A dictionary
English & Armenian, pub. in 1950
  I recently went to a fascinating Symposium on Armenians and the Book at ALMA in Watertown, MA.  One presentation showed books printed in the USA in Armenian for the Armenian immigrant community.  A few years ago, I was cleaning out a closet at my Mother's house, and brought home a couple of boxes of my Grandmother's books. I thought there might be a few books like those presented in the talk, so I got them out for a closer look. I categorize the books into five topics: Armenian Language,  Psychiana Religon, Catholic, Fiction and Nonfiction. I'll write about each category in separate posts. There were 5 books in the Armenian Language:

Not sure what it is, published in 1942










'Dream' book cover
My Mother remembers my Grandmother frequently consulting a 'Dream' book to interpret her dreams.  This well worn book seems to be it.  The Divination Arts are a part of the Armenian culture.  I remember my Grandmother reading coffee grounds.  Yes, coffee, not tea.  She would make Turkish coffee which left grounds in the bottom of the cup.  When the coffee was done, she would flip the cup over onto the saucer and lift off the cup.  I remember her quickly removing the plate from the table with a sharp intake of breath. It was all bad. Somehow, I remember this happening multiple times. Usually there were guests like her sister and old Armenian friends drinking coffee at the end of a meal or social event.  Everyone would be happily chatting and laughing but when the coffee grounds were read, the mood became somber.

The 'Dream' book also seems to have other topics, like biographies of Armenian heroes, music including patriotic American songs- the only part of the book in English.  Below are four sample pages.






The last Armenian book is a grammar book.  It includes translations of common American sayings, tells you how to conduct yourself properly, how to write letters related to working in the USA, and practical tips on doing things like riding the trolley.  It really gives an entertaining insight into the cultural issues of immigrants!  Click the pictures to see them larger to see what I mean.




No comments:

Post a Comment