10/30/2012

Books Part 3: Catholic Books

There were quite a few older Catholic books in my Grandmother's box of saved books.

Catholic Prayer Book  no date- old
Leather cover with engraved gold cross/design  metal lock, part missing, taped binding, front pages missing
6 ¼" x 4" x 2 ½"

The Key of Heaven or A Manual of Prayers   1874  NY: Thomas Kelly, publisher
Stamp:  Owen McDonald  Rufus St & Reservoir Ave  Pawtucket, RI
Small, embossed leather cover, lock parts missing, metal edge around cover
4 ¾" x 3 ¼" x 1 3/8"



Consolation for the Afflicted  1874  NY: D & J Sadlier & Co.
Translated from the French by Anna T. Sadlier
Leather cover w/ gold engraved pictures and words
5" x 3 ½" x ¾"

Choir Manual  no date
Front pages missing. Leather cover with gold engraved words
Writing in pencil on back page- First Friday(?) July 1935
5 ½" x 3 ¾" x ½"

Confession by John C. Heenan  1937 Caturbury Books  Sheed & Ward NY
Paper cover, very good condition
7" x 4" x ¼"








It's true, I took my child on cemetery hunts


I would guess these books belonged to Stephen but I think it's possible they may have belonged to his brother Serop. I went on a cemetery search a number of year's ago, and found Serop's grave.  At the time, I was surprised that he was in the Catholic cemetery in Cranston, just down the road from where I grew up.  Coincidentally, it is the same cemetery in which many of my McGuirl relatives are buried.  When I went there, I thought I would find Serop among other Armenian Catholics. I was curious to know who they were as I had never heard of Armenian Catholics before. It is a huge cemetery and not all graves are well mapped. I had the general area but wandered around and around in my car. Finally I gave up. I parked to stretch my legs and there was Serop's gravestone. There are no other Armenians in sight except for Serop's daughter who is on the other side of his headstone.  They're like a wrecked Armenian ship in a sea of Irish and Italian surnames.
Elisabeth Motian 1927-1933

According to my Mother, my Grandfather was not particularly religious, but he was Catholic. One of his jobs was cleaning the Providence Catholic Church during the Depression. In my research, I discovered that there was a Catholic Capuchin Mission in Malatya. According to Robert Mirak, there were about 800 Armenian Catholic converts in Malatya in 1915. I wonder how my Grandfather had learned English. Maybe he learned at the mission but I'm pretty sure the Capuchins were French. The Protestant missionaries, who arrived much later than the Catholics, made sure to print their bibles in the Armenian language because they didn't want their converts to leave their hometowns for a better life in America, which is what happened when they taught them English. Apparently the Motians were among this group. Some people blamed the Missionaries for heightening tensions between Christians and Muslims.




Capuchin College Malatya, Turkey
These pictures are from a French book I saw at the Armenian Library and Museum.  I love the picture at right because I think these women look like me and my family- in excellent clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment